HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shoulder Problems
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 07:46 AM
Brandon_SPC
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Samurile
Hello I am new to the forum but one of the reasons I joined was because I have shoulder issues. It dislocated twice then I got orthoscopic surgery to prevent it from dislocating again. Well it dislocated again again a couple months ago right as deer hunting here in NC started getting going. Well long story short I'm very limited as what I can do. I don't hunt from a tree stand but am unable to shoot anything other than a .22. Can you guys give me some advice on good guns to use that won't hurt or bother my shoulder that much.
Thanks
300 Blackout in AR-15 platform with a muzzle brake that has two big openings if your state allows ARs for hunting. My father has one in that setup and it feels like shooting a 22lr. And is extremely lethal on deer out to 250 yards. I know when we shot his with factory ammo he was getting just over MOA at 200 yards.. Yes 200 yards with a 300 blackout. The muzzle blast from the blackout is not bad at all. His .243 without a muzzle break has more muzzle blast than the blackout. It also isn't hard to find ammo in stores. If people try to tell you other wise that a blackout won't work on deer I have a good picture to show from one buck that was shot at 150 yards using the 110gr Barnes TacTX. Also like others have said the .243 is also another great choice and one of my favorite cartidges, but in your situation I think a Blackout in an AR-15 would be a great alternative especially with the minimal recoil, the fact you can adjust the stock to fit your shoulder if you can't move your shoulder as much, The fact you don't have to move your hand to rotate a bolt ( have a friend that has a torn rotator cuff that uses an AR over a bolt because of this reason), and also you can make them pretty light and still have very minimal recoil. I remember when he shot that buck he said that was the first time he was able to watch a bullet hit a deer and drop still looking through the scope. Hope that gives you an idea of the very low recoil that cartridge has with the brake. Even though without the brake it still feels like a .223.. Oh and if you want you can also shoot a blackout suppressed

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 06-10-2016 at 09:29 AM.