HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flying with a gun
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 07:53 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I agree any time I hunt in the usa I prefer to drive, not only feel better about things NOT getting worked over maybe by some anti gun nut?
but allows me to bring more things with me , than flying ever would , without a ton of added costs and work.
But when I hunt in Canada or AK,, that hasn't been an option due to time frame issue's and well, AK< isn't the easiest to drive to LOL
on all my trips SO far, haven't had a single issue on gun case looking like its seen any damage
BUT twice going to Alberta, I had my gun shipped to a different destination,(once gun was sent to Texas, and once Utah)
could never get direct flights either time.
and YES Both times I paid extra for added bag, BUT I also had 3 bags, so think One of them could have been a gun for free

I Highly recommend flying in at least a day before you plan to head to your destination
as both times I had my guns some what miss shipped, it took 10-20 hrs for them to get them back to me.
and NO< airline's are NOT responsible if your bags get missed shipped, in, that if your on a guided hunt, they DON"T pay for any possible down time or lost funds on your hunt.

SO< I always fly into a hunt planning to stay near airport first night there? Just in case, as MOST places will get you, your lost bags/guns, in 24 hrs or less.

and YES I have also had bags go MIA at final destination, NOT Just my guns.
I used to fly a bunch, so?/
it happens and more than you think!

a second note I NEVER get to air port TOO early to check in, due to experiences I have had
I have a few times doing this, had bags NOT make it onto a plane, as they seem to load things, in the back order of when they get checked in, as in , First checked in, goes in plane LAST, if they run out of room, your bags DON"T make it on THAT plane!

I now wait till I see a few folks check in before I make the attempt, and TRY and sit near a window where I can watch them LOAD the plane, haven't had an issue since doing it this way!!