HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 4 Gobbler Blasters
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 05:54 PM
camokenny
Fork Horn

2 more for the board, went to neb on Monday and got back today with two of three tags filled. Monday afternoon hunt lasted about a hour. spotted this bird while driving in had 3 hens with him. snuck in to far side of field from him and set up. Answered every call I gave him but wouldn't leave the hens that were feeding along field edge. When they got by me I picked up and moved to the other end of field where they were feeding toward. Got set up with one hen decoy. The hens fed down into the draw while the gobbler stayed on top, he would not budge from the hens so I reached into my vest and pulled out a fan that I carry and flashed it at him that's all it took and here he came. At 25 yards I pulled the trigger.

Bird 1, Merriam, neb, shotgun, 5:10 pm, May 16 2016
8.04 KG = 17.7 lbs
beard 9 1/8"
L-R spurs 3/4"

Wed morning found me hunting a different area that ive hunted for years. knowing where they roost I went in early and got setup about 75 yards from them. To my surprise only one gobbler was roosted there with a jake and several hens. With only tree calls coming from me the tom pitched down within 35 yards of the gun so I gave him a fair chance and let him take 2 steps before I pulled the trigger. Short but fun hunt.

Bird 2, Merriam, neb, shotgun, 5:55 am, May 18 2016
8.14 KG = 17.9 lbs
Beard 1, 9 1/4"
Beard 2, 4"
L-R spurs 3/4"

One tagged left to go in the season for neb and 2 weekends to get it done.
Will get pics to phil in the morning for him to post for me.