HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Picture and score post
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 04:40 PM
BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Fork Horn

It's been a very frustrating season so far, as I have only been able to get out once, and usually I am out every day of opening week.

For those of you that have been on here a while you've probably heard me talk about the German Baptist land that I hunt. They allow me to hunt an entire section and up until this season I had zero competition. Well this year they let a neighbor and his sons hunt it. That's fine and all but when I have to work all first week or two, they are out stompin around educating the old wise Toms.

Today after going to a school function for my daughter I thought, "I'll go try and chase a few birds" this was at 3:30 and it was REALLY warm in KS today!

I went to a spot that I like, walked in about 100 yards and sat down and listened.... for 15 min. nada.

Then I called... nada.

15 minutes later... called again... zippo.

I moved a little closer to where I pictured a Tom entering my line of fire and as I sat down I heard leaves rustling. As you know, after chasing turkeys for many years you can tell the difference between a squirrel, a deer, and a hot Tom coming in silent.

I quickly dropped and aimed to where I was just sure he'd pop over the ridge, and yup.... DRUMMMMMMMMMM...... BOOM!

Pretty quick and no real cat and mouse.

I was sure I could call one in, and I assumed after all the pressure, they'd be silent, but it's great when a plan plays out like you see it in your head!

BIG OLE corn fed KS Tom
23.2 pounds
Each spur 1 3/16
Beard 10 3/8
Eastern
Shotgun

Score - 67.6875

Last edited by BIG DONNIE BRASCO; 05-06-2016 at 12:09 PM.