HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heavy for caliber for close range shots
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 06:48 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Other considerations than just expansion. The lighter bullets tend to deflect easier from twigs or even weeds and tall grass. Not an every time type thing, but it has happened to me often enough to be a trend.

I tried the 150's and seemed to have more tumblers that tore up a lot of meat and I had more strikes off from where I was aiming. Seemed to happen when I was shooting through grass or light brush (fence rows). Went to 180's and had a lot more through and throughs, hole in hole out and the game wanted to bolt farther.

I finally split the difference and have been using 165 or 167's. No bullet IMO is going to perform well in all situations. The Core Lokt I use don't expand enough IMO but do tend to hold together better if there is something between me and my Deer.

I've been shooting a lot of neck shots, expansion doesn't seem to matter much. The hydro static shock seems to put them in a pile most every time.

I tried Silver tips for awhile (just in case a Hog came by), but seemed to have the bullet come apart from grass or whatnot on a regular basis and my Deer ended up looking like I used a hand grenade on it.

I use my 35 Remington in heavy brush, big and slow seems to work out better.