HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sept Moose Hunting?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 04:08 AM
Daveboone
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
What size bulls did you take Dave? Did they respond to calls that time of year?
The guides told us they were probably 5 1/2 yr olds, both 9 pointers about 34". Ed saw an estimatefd 50" but it was in an area they couldn't get to. They didn't do any calling, all spotting at this time. I gathered they didn't call if they didn't need to despite season.
We shot ours early in the hunt...day one was high winds, fog and rain couldn't hunt. a nor'easter blew in the night of our arrival. next day was sunday, and you cant hunt sundays in September. Monday we went out , fair day, knowing the back side of the storm was coming in that night and would probably shut things down for a couple more days at least. We both decided that if we saw a shootable bull we would take it (like they say, don't pass the first day what you would settle for on the last). To be honest, we were only at our watch site about an hour before spotting my bull (but in the meantime spotted two cows, and two big bears....two more big cows spotted on the way out after shooting ours). OUr tags were for either or, but we weren't shhoting cows until the last day if needed.
Certainly we could have gotten much more impressive bulls with more time, but our first time out we weren't risking it. Patey and Sons web site shows all the hunters from the fall, and overall they got ALOT of nice bulls. Next time, but ya never know! I am still happy with my decision, and eating moose 2-3 x a week!