HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Mountaineer questions
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zmason1002
Would the primer not completely sealing cause it to not be as accurate??
Probably would not have a large effect on accuracy. Basically what is happening you are loosing pressure out the back of the barrel and will suffer a slight reduction of velocity. For the purposes of hunting you would probably never know. If it were a target rifle it might drive you nutz

I haven't done hardly any load testing and I don't shoot out of a sled, just resting on something.
In the long run you are really better off not using the lead sled - that is just my opinion -

I use two adjustable rest to shoot off of. You can see the setup in these pics

I am sure I could achieve better accuracy with the lead sled but for me the two rests give me a more realistic picture of what my rifle does.

I'm shooting 1.5-2 inch groups roughly at 100 yards....I really want it and I to shoot better than that, I will do more testing with it later this year.
For hunting those groups are just fine. Even out to 200 your groups will still provide you POI that you need to harvest.

Even the bullet you choose to shoot can effect the accuracy and again if I were shooting paper for money I certainly would change the bullet I am using now. The Lehigh's that are I use are the most devastating bullet in an animal that I have ever used, but I certainly would not win an accuracy award with the tightest groups possible with them.

I know that I can shoot a clay pigeon at 200 yards -if the external conditions cooperate - and that is all I need for a ethical harvest.

I'm okay with the groups because I know I can kill a deer with it but would like it to be better.
You could probably improve that group size some what going with a Parker bullet like this.

These Parkers flat out fly!

The Parker Match Hunter/Emax will most likely shrink your groups.

http://parker-productions-llc.myshop...s/match-hunter

But at this point I would not use them for hunting, or the type of hunting that I do here in North Idaho.