HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Future hunter participation
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM
snowbank
Spike

Default hunting numbers

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Most hunters are generally aware that hunter #'s are falling. While viewing my states game dept. website, the statistics were pretty clear this is the case in VA. Based on your state/locale statistics or
observations, have you taken notice of this? I have influenced quite a few people to partake in hunting or shooting over the years but lately that's been more sporadic. How has your influence been?
I am finding a marked increase in families and especially women. It's kind of interesting. I think it relates to long seasons and the opportunity to kill enough to fill your freezers for the winter.

I am seeing fewer waterfowl hunters. I don't miss the competition but I think it is related to the cost of shells, guns, and gas. It's tough to get good at hunting / shooting $16 to $25/ box. I used to hunt at least 60 days for geese and now I hunt about 4 sundays. It's about the cost / fuel and when my partner is available. All that and difficulty in finding people to eat geese. Elk are much closer to dinner.