HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CVA 20 + 3rd degree
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 AM
hunt12ga
Typical Buck

Default CVA 20 + 3rd degree

I've been testing shells for my son to use on his first turkey hunt coming up this weekend. He will be hunting with my 20ga Optima Elite. I had decided that I was going to limit him to 25y with high brass 2 3/4" 6's because they pattern great. Past that, it wouldn't shoot anything well enough for me to feel confident. Even the Double X 3" shells shot poorly with full and XF chokes at 30y. So I decided to spend the cash and try the 3rd degree shells (couldn't bring myself to pay $30 for the Heavyweights with my wife standing there watching haha). At 35 yards they are awesome, with the factory full outperforming the CVA turkey tube by a bit. I didn't try 40 because I only had 3 shells left but I'm guessing it would be fine. I obviously wont let him try at that range until we test it. As long as I do my part calling I am confident that he can hammer a bird out to 35. When I'm a bit richer Ill fork out the extra 10 bucks and try the Heavyweights. And if Winchester will ever load us some Longbeards in 20-fingers crossed...

Wish us luck here in Illinois and be looking for some pictures of him with a bird this weekend!
rw