HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Barrel Cleaning Technique?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 06:45 PM
Hummer70
Spike

Dittos on Dewey rods. I have four of them I think. When you get one go to Home Depot and get a 10' stick of 2" electrical PVC pipe (the gray stuff) , go to plumbing and get a two 2" caps and two cleanouts with screw plugs and a small can of glue.

When you get home cut the 10' PVC to where it is about 4" longer than your Dewey rod. Glue on a cap and a cleanout. Before gluing on cap place open cell plastic foam in bottom or a rag to absorb the shock of dropping the rod in the tube.

Place your rod in it and you won't have to worry about it getting bent stored in trunk with your other stuff. You can put two rods in this tube. 1 handle down, 1 handle up.

This is the cheapest insurance you can get for long cleaning rod life.

If you are cleaning a bolt rifle you need a cleaning rod guide to replace the bolt. They are generally found made from white polyethelene round stock and slide up in action and into back of chamber.

If you are cleaning a lever gun and can remove bolt etc and clean from the back end.

If you are cleaning a pump gun or semi auto you need a muzzle protector to keep from draggng the rod on the muzzle. These can be made from a 30.06 case by cutting head off after reducing the neck size in a smaller die like a 280.

You want to have the neck slide in your barrel to protect the muzzle.

I already posted the below under the RIFLE section you might find interesting.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns...rst-enemy.html

Last edited by Hummer70; 03-19-2016 at 07:00 PM.