HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone Packing while they're Fishing?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 05:20 PM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by idahoron
I pack at all times.
When I get to where I am camping and fishing I normally open carry. I walk to where other guys are fishing if some are there. I walk up and kindly ask how the fishing is and be as friendly as I ca be. But the underlying reason I visit is to let them know I am not a target. Just a guy there to fish, and I have a gun.

Last year I went to a place to launch my pontoon boat. When I got there a SUV was blocking the spot to launch my boat. I backed as close to the water as I could and proceed to launch. It was about 6:00 am and I was a little later than I wanted to be. They had three Sturgeon poles in the water and no one was out and about. Soon a big tweeker looking guy comes out of the SUV followed by a blond, BEHOOCH. She was mouthy and was yelling at me. The dude was starting to amp up his tough guy act when I took off my jacket and put on my fishing shirt. That act exposed my 45 auto. I explained to them both that leaving poles unattended was against the law. Camping in the area was prohibited. Blocking a boat ramp was also prohibited. The guy instantly saw the gun and his macho attitude was shut down. I told them my name and I told them if they felt that I had broken any laws I encouraged them to report it to the Fish and Game along with the sheriffs office. At that point I would file my report along with pictures and their licence plate.
The BEHOOCH was still screaming at me and the Tweaker dude turned to her and told her to shut the F, up. I was pissed and amped up but I tried to be calm, I was in trouble. I knew that if I got visibly angry it wold make matters worse. So I finished getting ready to go and got in my boat and left.

All day I was worried about them robbing my truck or vandalizing it. I couldn't enjoy my fishing trip. The pistol no doubt saved me from an A$$ whippin or worse. I should have turned them in for the violations but I didn't. I didn't fish there as much last year as I wanted. I guess I was worried I would bump into them again. I hate stuff like that.
Sorry I missed this earlier. It sounds like one or both of them were tweaking. That's when you want a cell phone or satellite phone to let local LE know where to pick them up. I used to absolutely love those kinds of calls when I was working Patrol because that often led to a good arrest with other charges besides just being under the influence of drugs. It also saved me from having to investigate other problems with the same people, such as theft from vehicles, assaults, etc. Plus, when you tow a tweaker's vehicle, a lot of the time they don't have the money to get it back and you cut down on their mobility and crime spree(s).