HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Future hunter participation
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Game Stalker
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian

I just mentioned the following to a friend in an email today. I said I call elk hunting "fun," but that really is not accurate. It is closer to reality to say that it is far from fun. It is hard work, it entails physical discomfort, it entails physical dangers and psychological stress. It is cold. The bathroom facilities are primitive. Sleeping accommodations are far from luxurious. All of that really doesn't add up to "fun." I find it immensely satisfying but for other reasons that are complex to explain, so I won't try. Fellow hunters will understand.

I think that, more and more, this 'je ne sais quoi' essential satisfaction of hunting is not readily appreciated or anticipated by young people. It is kind of a subtle, meditative, reflective thing. They see the negatives -- hard work, physical discomfort, danger, stress -- and don't see the compensation. They don't see how the negatives amplify or form the basis for the compensation. Hunting to some extent is a trial and discovery of self. If it didn't have those elements of hard work, physical discomfort, danger, stress . . . it wouldn't have quite the same satisfaction, it wouldn't feel so real. I'm not sure I'm articulating this well, but again fellow hunters will read between the lines and understand what I struggle to express. Young people who haven't been on a hunt probably can't see this, however. THus, I expect the numbers of hunters will keep going down.

The best strategy for preserving these numbers is to take young people hunting. Invite a youngster along on a hunt. Make it easy for them -- lend them the gear, hand-hold them through the application process, do whatever you can to get them out on the hunt. Then you hope the tinder catches fire and they get the hunting fever.
Articulated very well, if I might say.

Hunting to some extent is a trial and discovery of self.....[quote]Alsation

True. This reminds me of the raw recruit going through boot camp. Start green, learn, mature, discover you can and improve on that. Then continue. That is the reward. Meeting the challenge on terms that for the most part favor the prey.