HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying a Safe... what lessons have you to share?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:53 AM
stalkingbear
Nontypical Buck

I'll admit I didn't read through 3 whole pages of responses, just going to share what I've learned. To begin with, buy the absolute best quality you can possibly afford. Now that brand is out of the way, buy something as big as you possibly afford, even if you have to save for it. The weight & size make it harder to just hook a chain to & drag the whole thing out, or roll out. Then either bolt 2 of them together or lag bolt them to the floor and/or wall with at least grade 8 allthreads in 1/2 or 5/8". Don't forget to put something in there to control humidity in the safe to keep your stuff from rusting and opt for double fireproofing if you can. You're also going to keep all the valuables and important papers in there. Now configure it so you can effectively hold the most guns, either by shelves and/or handgun racks. Personally I like to hang all the long guns from a overhead lazy suzan for more capacity, less space usage.