HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 02:00 PM
MountainDevil54
Banned

Default Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer

Well, its more than those 2 items, but One thing at a time for starters.

I took the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal flintlock would to 100 yards today and was very surprised by the amount of drop! It was dead on at 75 yards. HOWEVER, the new rest I was using ( I'll talk about that later on) wasn't as user friendly as I had hoped.

But anyway, I had the rifle loaded since sunday evening, after I got back to the hotel and reloaded for the morning hunt.

80gr Goex 2fg
4fg Goex in the pan
.490" round ball
.015" lubed with the listed lube on the pic

100 yards

I certainly think I can do better than a 4 1/2" group, but I'll have to cut at the muzzle next time out with a thicker .020" patch material.

I used the Precision Packer that came in the day before I left to hunt hogs and so I took that along with me but never got the chance to use it as I thought it would be crazy to change my seating pressure before verifying it on target. Perhaps this could be why my POI has dropped so low?

The Precision Packer is pretty simple to use but as far as aiding in accuracy, I am not 100% sure of just yet. I have to play with it a lot more and shoot over a chrony to see if it aids in accuracy/consistent seating pressure.

This deep concave pocket serves as a palm saver for when you push the load down your bore.

I HIGHLY suggest you do NOT use this item with a Wood or Flexy Plastic style ram rod due to the amount of pressure required when using this tool.

Once the projectile is touching the powder lightly, you flip it over and use the other shallow end with the white piece of plastic. You slowly push down steadily until you feel that piece of plastic come to a full stop. This supposedly is consistently seating your projectile as long as YOU stop, when that piece stops. Could you over do it by not paying attention? Yes. It's not fool proof for 100% precise seating pressure. I would have preferred something designed like a torque wrench that pops and lets loose a little bit to let you know, the pre-set torque has been reached.

When I rest up, I'll do some more shooting with Blackhorn209 and then American Pioneer as it LOVES heavy seating pressure, and see how the consistency is with both powders when using this tool.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:57 PM.