HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what breed
Thread: what breed
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Daniel, most dogs will be good companions but how good depends on the owner. You must make sure your dog knows that you are in charge and not the other way around. It isn't that difficult but it does take some time beginning from the time you bring the pup home with consistent obedience training, things like the meaning of NO, to hup(sit) ,stay and to come to you, I use the word here to call mine to me. It takes a little training every day, you will also need to socialize the pup by taking it to places where it will be around other people and animals so it will not be a problem later on. Those are the basics and will be the difference between a dog that will be a nightmare or a good well behaved companion. It doesn't take a whole lot of time but some time each day, perhaps a half hour. There are lots of books and videos available to help you know what to do depending on what you want to hunt or even if you just want a house dog, obedience training is important. There is more dependng on what you want but I just hit on the basics. I just got up to check my e-mail and I had to move my young setter's head off my lap so I could get of the couch. She is well trained and likes being with me and is a bird hunting machine. A trained dog is a happy dog because it knows what is expected of you. An untrained dog is many time a nervous dog because it is always getting yelled at or punished for destructive behavior. The above applies to hunting dogs or simply a house dog/companion. You will of course do what you want to do but since you ask some questions, this is my advise.