HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Future hunter participation
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

My generation grew up with microwaves, video games, and streaming movies... Sitting in the woods... working for a deer or squirrel.... just doesn't interest them. I'm the exact opposite. I hate video games. I don't even own a microwave (Although I do use one at work regularly....) And I love to hunt.

I will say that I believe that some of my generation has found other outdoor things to pursue though. I've got allot of friends who are backpackers, hikers, etc. And allot of these activities are on govt land... so they aren't hunting, but they are getting into the woods. I've picked it up myself and try to do some backpacking every summer, even worked as a backpacking guide in Colorado during college... But I do believe hunter numbers are dropping and will continue to drop... I can't speak on it because I wasn't there but I would guess the amount of 18-30 year olds who backpack and hike now is higher than it was 50 years ago. My grandparents and uncles all hunted but they look at me crosseyed when I talk about a 5 day backpack trip.
-Jake