HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Alabama DCNR exploring changing limits
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 PM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

Default Alabama DCNR exploring changing limits

The Alabama DCNR is looking at reducing the season limit on birds from 5 to 3. There is this fear that numbers are down. I have noticed a few bad hatches over the last 5-6 years but nothing that I think warrants the reduction.

We had some weird weather the last 3-4 years that has made for some poor gobbling days. The last few years I have had a hard time getting a gobble at one of my favorite WMA's but both times the weather was rather chilly or rainy. Last year I hunted an area on opening day and heard 8-9 different toms. The next day we heard 2 in the same area. Another spot I heard 5-6 birds and the next day my brother heard 0. I think we are getting reports of slow gobbling and confusing them with low numbers. I think last year was a good hatch and decent spring. I've been seeing lots of good trail pics. One other thing that leads me to believe that weather has played the biggest role is the report that I've gotten out of southern Tennessee from last year. I've been told of less gobbling going on there. That just tells me we had a few bad hatches. Nothing to get these knee jerk reactions that I'm seeing.

The other major thing they are looking at is moving opening day in the southern part of the state closer to April 1st. Currently it opens March 15th down south and April 1st in a handful or northern counties. Personally I think it should open March 20th statewide.

Any of you other Yellowhammer boys got an opinion?