HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antelope transportation question
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Any good cooler that will hold about 35-40 pounds of boned out meat with sufficient ice to keep it cold will do. Some use dry ice like flags mentioned, but I never have and have never had a problem bringing meat back to MI. Your big problem on an archery hunt in September will be the head and cape. You can't bring an intact head out of Wyoming back to most states due to CWD regulations. Therefore, if you don't know how to properly cape out the hide and get the horns off the head, I would strongly suggest that you take it to a taxidermist that you have contacted ahead of time to let them do that preparation for you or leave it for them to do the shoulder mount for you and ship it to you when it's done. If you do take the hide and horns home separately you will at least need to remove all the brain material to be legal for transport. Most taxidermists will probably advise you to have the head and cape frozen that time of year if it's going to be any length of time to get it back to your own taxidermist. IMHO I would leave it out there with a taxidermist that does a lot of antelope every year and pay the shipping back to you when it's completed, rather than risking ruining the hide taking it like you're thinking about. The ones we've taken were just gutted and then the entire animal was backpacked out to the truck to avoid any hair damage and immediately taken to our taxidermist in Cody. We give him a call and let him know we're bringing one in and he takes the head off and does the caping so we can take the rest of the carcass to finish the processing. You have to be very careful with antelope as their hair slips very easily as compared to deer and elk. Here's the nice one with 14 1/2" horns that I took in whole in 2009 and had him do what I mentioned, then ship the finished mount to me.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-21-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Spelling & clarification