HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Food Plot Ideas
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Here are a few more thoughts. One crop we started experimenting with 2 years ago is Sunn Hemp. I had never heard of the stuff before then, but one of the guys I hunt with had. I have stated on this forum in other postings how this crop seems to have zero down sides as a warm weather food plot. It is difficult for me to explain how shocked I was personally at how the deer stayed on this crop but at the same time were not able to ravage it. The smaller plots took a beating but held up well, always staying about 1' high. The larger plots had small areas that made it to full maturity .... 5' - 6' tall but I'd estimate 90% of more of these plots were kept eaten back. Just covered up with foot prints. The only drawback I can see is that this crop goes belly up first frost. And I mean deader than a hammer. Plus sides .... very high (over 30%) in protein and puts nitrogen back into the soil. and makes a pile of organic to be disked back into the soil. It matures rapidly and is drought tolerant. The seeds are easily broadcast and (as is our case) very easy to use in a grain drill or one of the "Do-All" style planters.

You might want to try an acre of two of Sunn Hemp up your way just to see if it'll duplicate what it has for us down this way. Seed is about $2/lb. where we buy ours. We planted about 10 acres last summer and plan to double that this year.