HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help with elk license draw colorado
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 08:11 AM
broncocliff
Spike

Originally Posted by Jorgy
close to the front range and not too many people or atv's. That is a tall order my friend. The thing you do have on your side is your willing to hike. If you are a mile from a road, the amount of people you will see is dramatically reduced no matter where you are. Biggest issue is finding areas that don't have roads littering them.

Just because a area is over the counter, doesn't mean it's not as good of a elk area. I wouldn't limit yourself that way.

Stats drawing a elk tag are on the DOW website here, they are easy to read. If you need any help, shoot me a PM
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hun...kDrawRecap.pdf

Within a few hours of Denver you have a handful of wilderness areas that is are no motors. Lost Creek, Rawah, Indian Peaks, Never Summer - and some smaller ones I've never backpacked in. It's more of getting out a map and picking a spot. They all have elk
I think I'm confusing myself more then anything. I have been looking at those stat pages and have gone back a few years also. Seems like I find a good area on the recap but then look at the success of the area and it is like 8%. I have camped in a lot of those areas and like them just not sure on the elk population. Then I look at the stats and they are low for that area.