HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help with elk license draw colorado
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 PM
broncocliff
Spike

Default Need help with elk license draw colorado

Hey guys need a little help with options on drawing for an elk license. I have been working on this for like 2 weeks now and have not really gotten anywhere. I am putting in for a preference point at my first choice and then I was going to put 501 ef as my 2nd choice but after calling a hunt planner he said that they don't ever go to 2nd choice for that unit. So now I'm back to square one.
I was trying to get away from otc areas but it looks like that is where I will have to go. I ordered the outdoors magazine with the preference points and info for areas to read over. I hope that will guide me.
I was wondering if any of you guys have some opinions or thoughts on this matter. I am looking for an area that has some wilderness and not a lot of atv traffic and roads. I am a hiking hunter, I am normally out all day wandering around trying to find game. I would like it to be close to the front range so I can go do some scouting. Last year I hunted close to buford and that was a 6 hour drive. Just to far for a weekend to scout. It was hard to get away from roads and atvs.
Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get this all wrapped up before the draw is due.