HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tracking bears
Thread: Tracking bears
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 05:09 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Bait and dogs are illegal in Colorado. So we have a few choices to hunt bears.

One is to try and still hunt into natural food areas. It's mostly what I uses. I scout before the season for berries, and come hunting season I try to catch one feeding.

The second way is probably the most popular. Spot and stalk. Just like you'd do for elk and deer.

The 3rd way is to call them in. This can be exciting and i've tried it. If you can get a bar to come in to a call it will either come in sneaky and you have to be careful it doesn't come in behind you. That seldom happens, because if you're playing the wind right the bear will catch your scent long before you see them. Sometimes a bog boar will come charging straight into you. Be ready, because it thinks you're a meal.

To just find tracks and try to track one? That's a real longshot. I doubt you'd ever be successful. Bears are way too smart for that and they have a nose better than any other game. Plus, they cover so much ground you'd be tracking forever and never catch up. Without you ever being aware of it the bear would be tracking you. Are you talking grizzly or black bear?

Of course you're always looking for bear tracks to see if they're in the area, but not so much to follow them unless they're headed for a known food source that you know about. Then it's time to put on the sneak.