HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's important in a Concealed Carry weapon?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:05 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Maybe it is just me, but safety is right up there at the top of my list. I get in a situation maybe once every ten years when I may need a pistol. That is 3650 days, with every day a chance of an accidental discharge, against the one day I may actually need that pistol.

A quick draw is secondary for me, while having that pistol secure while I go about my daily chores is paramount. I'm not one for leaving my pistol laying around, even in a vehicle. I'm likely to be wearing it while I cut wood, dig holes or whatever.

The only pistol I'd ever carry with one in the chamber is my P-7. Everything else the chamber is empty. Racking the slide back only takes a second.

Even my revolvers have an empty chamber under the hammer. The experts will say you don't need it, with the newer pistols having a hammer block. I have one revolver now with a broken hammer block (it fell out one day at the range), fires just fine.

I always carry two extra magazines.

I've seen numerous accidental discharges. And I'm not talking about novice shooters either, mostly people who carry every day and had a brain fart. The law of averages is going to catch up with you some day.

I watched one guy blow his own kneecap off (mostly it was just hanging by a thread of meat).

I've seen or heard about numerous close calls. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's law, whatever can go wrong will go wrong. I plan for worst and hope for the best.

Open carry, that pistol is right at my crotch. It may look funny, but nobody is going to grab it from behind.

Concealed carry, a shoulder holster. High under the armpit is a good spot to be able to clamp that holster down tight with your arm if you have to run any distance. Kind of depends on your build if it will work for you.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 01-25-2016 at 01:10 AM.