HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question for you peep sight fellas...
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 05:24 PM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ron I'm with you on that. Now my cousin was a NRA instructor and an expert handgun shot and he taught his 'students' to focus on the front sight leaving the target fuzzy. His reasoning was logical because they were shooting at a fixed target (wasn't moving).
As hunters we have to focus on our target and leave the front sight a bit fuzzy because our 'target' may move. I tend to switch back and forth when shooting at an animal right until the last second when I focus on the spot on the animal.
The set up on your Hawken makes for accurate shooting under your hunting conditions in the open country but I don't think it would benefit me here in the east's heavy cover. I'm not sure it would allow for quick target acquisition so I'm a bit hesitant to try it.
The way peep work is your eye centers on it's own. When you use the globe in the front your eye centers the peep and the globe. I shot this deer with almost no light.

He was hit and broke out on the run through the bottom of a canyon in heavy cover. The range was under 50 yards. My load is about the same speed as my shotgun load. I just went into "auto pilot" my eye centered both the peep and the globe I never saw the globe insert. I swung on it like a chukar and touched it off. I have found that the only time I have had trouble with these sites was over 50 yards and right at the last seconds of light.

This year I was trying to shoot a burnt stump at 200 yards in the last moments of light. If that would have been a animal I would have been out of luck. I have started to hunt more heavy cover and so far it has worked.

Last edited by idahoron; 01-19-2016 at 05:34 PM.