HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Removing Pins from full-stock long-rifles
Old 01-15-2016, 07:26 PM
muzzlestuffer
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
First thread-ever for this board and first question:

Are there any aftermarket pins available to ease removing full wood-stocks, without damaging surrounding wood?

What I'm looking for are pins with a hollow cavity... to insert a pointed object into, when lightly pounding out the pins.

My Traditions Shenandoah has a very minute flat-face, subjecting it to being easily-missed upon removal and that means damage to surrounding wood...... average-Joe Traditions ML wood that-is....lol
i have a jeager rifle with pinned barrel i just put a piece of tape with a hole in it over the pin and the key for me is to have plenty of light,use a magnifier i also have a 1-1/2" thick piece of foam i lay the gun on flat on it's side which helps control the "hit" of the punch the foam also allows the pin to be pushed out of the stock. i also push down on the stock so there's no bounce when i hit the pins. i think it's much easier than trying to hit the pin out sideways say if the gun is in a vise. so far i have not damaged the wood but do not like taking the pins out too much due to the fact that eventually the holes will get sloppy.