HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question for you peep sight fellas...
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 06:51 PM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

It is going to take me some time to remember we have this forum, I do appreciate. I have Lyman SML peeps on several guns. I can't comment on a flinter but I can shed light on putting one on. The tang must be drilled for it to work. This is not as hard as you would think. When I drill them I take a piece of Masking tape and I lay it on the tang. I line it so one edge goes through the center of the front and back hole in the tang. Then I lay the sight base on and mark where it needs to be drilled. Then I thread it and it should be good to go. I have only messed one up. I welded it shut and drilled it again. Please forgive the plastic stock.

After I get that drilled and tapped I do one of two things. I either remove some of the metal from the back side of the sight like this.

By using a angle grinder I can do that pretty quick. I have done a couple like that.

I also have made a spacer for them. In this picture you can see the spacer under the sight. I made it out of aluminum and filed it to be tapered. I did that so the elevator would move more vertical. I also wanted to get a little more distance with this gun. So giving it a spacer allowed me to get a little farther out.

The SML fits better on a Hawken than it does a Renegade but they are not hard to get fitted.
In my opinion the peep sight is a great one but a Lyman 17 AML globe sight with a Lee Shavers insert is the thing that gives me the most accuracy.

I can aim at a milk jug at 150 yards and focus on hitting the label. I was about 1" high on hitting the label.

The thing that I think is the one thing that the Lyman 57SML brings to the table is the ability to use a range finder get the range and set the sight for that shot at hand. Once I set my sight to do this I find that I am MUCH more accurate at all ranges out to 300 yards. This three shot group is interesting. I had two shots at 150 and then I moved to 100. I changed the sight and shot the 100 yard shot.

Lastly the slider or "elevator " can be removed to put in your pocket for safe keeping. You push a single button and slide it out. That is the same button I use to slide it to the different yard marks.
In this picture you can see how I have my elevation marks made. Just to the left of the 0- you can see a button. You push it to the right and it releases the slider.

I don't have to twist the knob to raise or lower the sight. Just push the button and slide it. Now the Williams FP sight you have to twist the knob. It is not as quick at the lyman and it is not really able to remove it if your going to put the gun in a scabbard on an ATV or horse.
I have both and the Lyman pee with the lyman globe and Lee Shavers inserts are the best sight I have found for my style of shooting.