HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question for you peep sight fellas...
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for you peep sight fellas...

Hello fellas...

I know many of you who've now visited this new traditional forum are flintlock (and sidelock percussion) shooters and many of you use peep sights on some of your rifles. Here in PA, for many years our traditional (flintlock only) season allowed OPEN iron sights only (no peeps allowed). It then progressed to open iron sights with fiber optic inserts allowed as long as the sights remained OPEN (no peeps). Now, and I believe it's been this way for the past two seasons, peep sights are allowed on flintlock rifles during our late, flint only, season.

Have any of you fellas ever mounted a peep on any of your flinters? If so, what are your thoughts on using a peep on a flintlock rifle? PA still considers our late ML season to be traditional and it's meant for flintlock ignition firearms only... but they're only stipulation now is that telescopic sights are not permitted. Your choice of open or peep sights is allowed.

I have several Renegade flinters. One of which has the earlier T/C tang with three screw holes which was meant to accommodate their peep style sights. For grins, I considered mounting a peep on it but have yet to do it.

If I do, what are some of your recommendations? I know the original T/C hunter style peeps are getting extremely hard to find, and sell for WAY more than they're worth IMO. I've heard that the Lyman SML is a good peep but is it compatible with T/C's existing tapped holes? If so... how's the availability on them nowadays? Do you need to remove any wood as well or do they sit nicely alongside the Renegade's stock?

And I appreciate any/all comments from all members in advance. Idahoron... I know you have them on your rifles... are you out there Bud?

BPS