HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - replaceable blade knives
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 PM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

I bought one of the Havalon Piranta knives and have only used it to skin 1 buck. I caught a bit of hair with the blade and had to dress it a bit but was able to finish with the original blade. In comparison, I only dressed the Havalon maybe a 1/4 as much as my buddy's Schrade. I'm NOT bagging on his Schrade as I have one also and it's a good knife. Just providing it as a means for comparison.

The blades are 2&3/4" long so that may work for you or not on blade length. The blades are extremely sharp as in razor sharp. The blade's edge stays sharp a bit longer than one of my folding knives or the Shrade. The knife comes with a case and around a dozen spare blades so it would definitely be enough skinning blades for any hunting trip. And if you bring some kind of dressing stone, you can always dress up the edge as needed.

My overall impression of the knife is it was worth the investment but that is me and what I use it for. Another buddy of mine was with me when I used it on the buck and now he wants one also. Hopefully this feedback helps a little.