HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting A Deer In The Truck By Yourself
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 11:44 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

When I was young, I would grab any buck I shot and just horse lift it in the truck. Boy has those days changed... Now I shoot a fat doe and can hardly get her in the truck. But because I use an ATV ti haul them out, I found an easy way to get them in and out. My ATV has a winch on the front. And in the top corner of the truck I have tie down rings on the sidewalls of the bed. I take a rope, feed that through the tie down, then run the winch cable through a loop in the rope, winch cable around the deer, and then just winch that thing into the truck. It sure saved my bacon.

When I hang them I have a pulley on a rafter in the garage. I feed the winch cable through that pully then through a grambel hook in the back legs. Winch that deer up to the rafters and the with a chain, chain off the grambel and then just take the winch off the thing. No more gut strain, or sweating like a dog...

One thing I do! Throw your jacket or something over that winch cable. If that thing breaks suddenly, believe me ... you don't want to be around that. I saw a fellow get a nasty gash on his leg from a broken winch cable.