HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do You Doubt The PRB?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 03:53 PM
OldBob47
Banned

Default Inappropriate bullets

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Bob, I really wish you would kinda back up a little bit on your campaign for everyone to stop using PRB's. Many on here like to use them and do so with extreme effectiveness. Pete is one of them. I myself used them back in the dark ages when I was young and seriously into black powder shooting. I don't now mainly because I am getting into the more modern aspects of the sport in my old age. That and I don't have a BP rifle that is suitable for PRB. My Hawk is 1:28 twist and just doesn't like shooting them worth diddly. Maybe one day I will get back into them but my "one days" are getting shorter daily. They just don't trip me trigger like they used to. They are an effective bullet when used properly just like EVERY other means of hunting out there. No matter what bullet or platform one chooses to hunt with, they have to know their limitations. Period. Just like CF rifles, there are better bullets, but that doesn't mean that the PRB is useless or ineffective or unethical. There are tons better bullets than cup and core bullets for CF rifles yet I don't see yo on a campaign to stop the use of them. Just because something may or may not be better doesn't mean that the other thing is useless and unethical.
I can't see any reason not to point out the limitations of the round ball. I certainly agree with you about "bad" bullets for CF rifles. When I was young, every month the gunrags had an article about "What's better the 270 or the 30-06?" Throw in the 280 for a bit of variety. It was all BS. With an appropriate bullet choice for the intended purpose, the performance of any of those calibers would be indistinguishable from any of the others. With the ammo makers' attempts to cook up loads for anything from mice to moose, you can buy ammo that is not the best, to downright awful, for shooting deer, for example.

I don't think seasonal help, particularly in the big box stores, knows enough to be giving advice. I view game commissions as being equally competent.

OldBob

Last edited by OldBob47; 12-20-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: misspelling