HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun Cabinet
Thread: Gun Cabinet
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 03:24 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Hey Art, that saw hanging on the wall over there, sure has been sharpened a lot.

This thread sure has trended away from examining your beautiful gun cabinet, so i didn't think you would mind if i shared photo of a cabinet i built for our son about 35 years ago. It kinda looks like yours, kinda.

The photos of his cabinet, were taken about 9 years ago, when it was dug out of storage. The boy, and his mother designed it, when he was 14 or so. We didn't have much back then, what with kids living at home, and such. His cabinet was made from construction lumber. There was no worry about having enough quarter sawn oak for the draw fronts. The door frames are made from studs. What i did was find a friendly lumber yard, and sorted through 1 1/2 bunks of studs, to find 8 straight ones.

The back is a thin piece of substandard Redwood siding. The paneled doors are loose boards cut from an old school desk, and scrap stuff, & such. The shelves in the middle are for his revolvers, and the shelves below for his (mine really) reloading gear. The boy, and his mother couldn't decide about the feet, so i made one of each. When it was finished, the boy, and i hauled it from the garage, and down the stairs toward his bedroom, but it wouldn't fit below the floor joists, because of the head room over the stairs. We had to haul it back out to the garage where it was cut into two pieces. It took some figuring, but we managed to cut it right between the top doors, and the lower doors, and designed a system to hold it together. We hauled it back down the stairs, and never finished it, and never installed the glass.

About the time the boy graduated, i was sent down to Arizona by the Company. He ended up down there a year or so later working for us. While we were down there, grandmother took sick in Rapid City. Mother loaded up all the belongings, and moved from Great Falls. The cabinet was put into storage, and there it sat for 20 year or so, still unfinished. About 9 years ago, enough junk was moved, so that the cabinet was accessible. It had been there in the heat of summer, and the cold of winter unfinished. Say 120 degrees at times to -30 degrees at times. The feets were water stained, so it was apparent they had sat in water.

The fact that this unfinished piece had sat there, in water sometimes, and in hot, and cold, and survived, really was a pleasant surprise. Well, 9 years ago it was worked over some, and finally finished, and then hauled to the boy's home, where it is in use.....