HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Essentials for back country archery elk hunt?
Old 12-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Brandon_SPC
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wyomingtrapper
If you are packing camp in, and elk and camp out, on your back. Be realistic about how far in you are going. You can figure about 160 lbs of meat off a yearling cow, 200+ off an average cow or bull, and upwards of 260 lbs of meat from a larger bull. That is boned and trimmed. Add the antlers and a cape (if you are going to get it mounted) and it gets heavy fast. Add camp and gear and as stated above, it'll be at least 4 heavy trips by your self. Early season hunts tend to bring warmer weather, so time becomes a factor too. Even if one has the strength and stamina, if you are too many miles back, it is difficult to get the beast out before risk of spoilage.
Oh I understand that, the place where my family has elk hunted has been a place my grandfather has hunted over 20 years. I have been up there a few times hiking and when I was to young to actually be able to harvest an elk. It isn't a long trek maybe about a mile or maybe less but there is a significant amount of elevation change. And we have yet to see any people up there during season. (cross my fingers). We also have a creek that runs next to camp. Would it be smart, if I shoot one to, stick the meat in the creek while we back it out? Or would you hang it up?