HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Essentials for back country archery elk hunt?
Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Brandon_SPC
Fork Horn

Default Essentials for back country archery elk hunt?

Well my rifle hunt decided to turn into and archery hunt once we figured out the unit had OTC tags. The hunt now we will leave August 29th and be ready by the 1st. We will hunt from September 3rd- 12th and come back home on the 13th. This is my first archery elk hunt but not my first time going to elk camp so I know what to expect with altitude, etc. But since this is my first elk hunt where I could actually hunt and stay some time out in the woods I want to hear from the experienced elk hunter. I have read article after article and some stuff it seems like you really don’t need it. I am trying to keep it as budget friendly as possible but make sure I have the correct stuff. My budget for the trip I would like to keep it under $3,000 including gas, food, tags, etc. This post might sound kind of ignorant but I want to make sure I have the essentials first and in line with my budget before I buy anything else. So here is what I currently have:
  • Archery equipment: Only thing I think I need is and extra release.
  • Sleeping bags
  • Boots: Danners and some waterproof Columbia mid boots.
  • Clothes (including socks, underwear, etc) but I am thinking about buying some kind of polyester blend or all polyester
  • Flashlights
  • binos
  • Rangefinder
  • Rain gear
  • Bivy sack to throw clothes in
  • Knives

Stuff I know I need:
  • Game bags
  • Paracord
  • Some type of water purification
  • Calls
  • First aid kit
  • food
  • I have a ruck sack but I know for a fact if (big if) I shoot an elk it will be a pain packing it out in that. So I will be getting a new pack.
  • fire starter, space blanket, compass,
  • Tent
  • baby wipes
  • TP

Now I would like to hear y'all chime in on what you think the essentials will be and what I should add or take away. I appreciate y'alls input.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-11-2015 at 10:54 AM.