HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 3 Checkin Thread.
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 04:28 AM
kellyguinn
Super Moderator

Got a dandy down. I'll post pics here in a bit. Its at the taxidermist but I'll be picking the rack up either today or tomorrow to score it. Main frame 8 with 6 or 7 kickers and around 21" inside spread. He was checking a scrape I poured some fresh doe urine (not the store bought stuff) in the day before.

Glad for the team but I still with I had my bow with me. 40 yrd shot with the 7 mag. Scope had been knocked off (shooting way low) I'm guessing. My friends 85 Y/O Grandfather in law came to help and after about 300 yrds thru thick briar he found it down a deep creek bank still alive. Ended up have to put it down with a 44. Shot the buck a 7 am and didn't recover till 4 pm. I'm still a little upset with it. Looks like the shot clipped the belly then shattered the opposite front leg. Like I said I'm sick and can't to get to a range to see if it was the scope or just a crappy round. The deer was quarting to me and I normally have no problem with that shot especially at that range. On the plus side. This was the first time I have met my friends Grandfather and I got to listen to many stories from back in the day which I will always cherish. And even though he has hunted many things (and was very good at it) he has never deer hunted. I'm pretty sure that getting out of the house to go tracking ( he walked a good mile to 1.5 miles) by the time we tracked it then going around all the thick stuff to get back to his truck and being the one to actually find the deer made his year. I will be going back out to visit as I'm sure there are many more stories I'd love to hear.

Last edited by kellyguinn; 12-08-2015 at 05:10 AM.