HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Non-magnum lovers...?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 03:49 AM
coolbrze0
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I agree on placement being the key. I don't seem to suffer from recoil issues, as least not with my 338. But then, I remember shooting a couple hundred 12 gauge rounds at the range one day, all of them either slug or buckshot. I don't begrudge anybody using a smaller or non-magnum caliber as long as they are cleanly killing the animal. For me, I really like that 338WM with a nice 250 grain Nosler Partition bullet. It shoots well for me and does the job well too. I figure all those griz and brown bear guides in AK that prefer the 338 can't all be wrong.

On deer and antelope, I prefer my old 270 although I plan on trying the wife's 243 and maybe a 25-06 and 7mm-08 just cause. It's always fun to try new things but I don't see my gun safe ever not having a 338.
Agreed on the .338WM, have taken a 10' brown bear, an elk, & 2 mulies w/ it (the only rifle I had on both elk hunts). It does kick a little but for the limited times I'm shooting it, what the heck. Gotta love the .270/.30-06, etc. for whitetail & similar size game. It all comes down to shot placement 1st & matching bullet construction for the game you're hunting 2nd.