HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Optics For Slug Gun
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 08:07 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Default Optics For Slug Gun

Retired fixed income. Had an Eye operation about a year ago and am still learning to deal with it. I have good eye days and bad eye days, pretty much fixed focus in my eyes after the operation, cataracts, glaucoma and astigmatism.

I have an 1100 Remington, smooth bore I use mostly for finding and fixing wounded Hogs.

I've about settled on a Remington receiver mount. A little concerned about eye relief with this mount. I have a long thin head, so scope height or other ergonomic matters are fairly irrelevant. I have a spacer in the stock so way too close is unlikely.

To make a long story short I had a choice of what was most important to me, reading or driving. I really can't focus my eyes anymore. I cant see down the barrel like I used to, up close is worse than distance for me. Fixing it with glasses is a no go, some sort of weak eye strong eye differential, the Doc said no way, especially until my eyes stabilize.

Fixed power would likely be best 3 or 4X. I figure I can afford maybe $200 plus $40 for the mount.

Any recommendations? I'm open to either a standard type scope or something in a Holo setup (which I am totally ignorant about).