HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question for all members
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 12:49 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe a single person commenting on this thread has said it wasn't difficult RR. My main problem with it is the actual difficult nature of long range shots and animals movements! Most aren't equipped both in equipment or ability. Some just THINK they are. They go out and buy a high dollar custom rifle with a super duper scope and they think they can just magically make a 700+ yard shot! You know as well as I do that aint the fact there Jack! I have a custom .30-06 I built years ago that I would be supremely confident with at 800 yards as far as shot making as I put them in the ring or on the steel all the time with her. But I still wouldn't go past 400 on live game. Yes Cal I know, that's my own personal restrictions and I shouldn't try to force them on others which I am not trying to do here. RR does his thing during population control hunts for the most part and as I have previously said, he is doing a service. But there are just too many idiots out there that think they have the skills because they saw it done on Youtube and bought a high dollar rig. We've all seen them. RR has personally ran into many I'm sure as I have. Most of those guys couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle! Then you have the guys out there that have practiced some from a bench and think they can make those same shots under field conditions. OOPS again!

Yes the Hunting vs. Shooting subject can be and usually is highly subjective and is all about each individuals ethics. But the fact remains that there are situations where it is just plain old "turkey shoots" and RR can tell you the same thing. Example, you have a field that the farmer tells you deer are there every day at a certain time frame, you have a nice little rise about 600-700 yards off, no trees or underbrush getting between you and those deer. That's shooting. Granted yes longer ranges and still in a high difficulty factor, but it's still just shooting. But in all reality, that's the same comparison that can be made to me scouting all summer, finding where the trails intersect from bedding to food, setting up a tree stand, trimming some shooting lanes, and setting up for a 40 or under shot for archery. See I aint totally ignorant Cal, I see the comparisons on both sides of the stories.

RR asked for comments and opinions. He was given comments and opinions. I didn't knock him personally as I know he is a good shot and does all he can, including waiting patiently for that shot, to make clean quick kills. And he will "fess up" to his "other than perfect" shots as well.

All we can do, as moral hunters, is to try to teach the new generations values and ethics in hunting so they don't make those terrible mistakes such as wounding our beloved game animals. We owe them, both the hunters and the wild game, nothing less.