HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question for all members
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Exophysical
I'm not saying it isn't difficult, I'm just saying that you are dodging many of the complications of hunting at closer ranges. Which, in some of our opinions... which you requested, makes for poor hunting although the shooting might have been great.

I can take game cleanly at a mere 300 yards with my hunting setup from an unsupported field position, but you will never find me setting up just so I can shoot at the edge of my range and give myself a pat on the back, many of us kill deer for very different reasons than whatever drives you to make these long range kills.
don't believe I'm patting myself on the back, you've read my position, stated yours so thanks. What I have done is worked my tail off, spent a lot of time and money to figure out what a well tuned rifle is capable of, and I teach others, our season came in Monday, 3 other hunters have harvested deer with my rifle, my nephew wants to learn more about how bullets work, others just learned the difference between an accurate rifle with a good optic versus a remchesterburgavage with a trashco or simmons.
family members watched as a shot a crow at 510 yards, they learned how well a rifle can shoot. For years wv allowed hunters to shoot deer from a bait station, put a treestand at the pile and shoot them at 30-50 yards, it takes years to learn how to hunt, I try to teach marksmanship which is becoming a lost art.

Originally Posted by Exophysical
I'm not saying it isn't difficult, I'm just saying that you are dodging many of the complications of hunting at closer ranges. Which, in some of our opinions... which you requested, makes for poor hunting
I'd like to address this comment, maybe I dodge some complications as you call them, the sense of smell, well I'm not winded often, but hunting from a stand you have options, such as only hunt this stand on a northeast wind, that is also dodging a complication correct? hearing nope theydon't hear me but your quiet when on the stand?
I also have to take tempature, barometric pressure, at certain times humidity and the amout the earth rotates on its axis during the time of flight, also I have to take time to get set up for each different situation, I have to make these calls on the wing not the day before when checking accueweather. the complications I dodge bring on many more that puts the pressure of success or failure on me, its a challenge I put against myself, not some dumb animal, they can't reason every movement they make comes through instinct, what mother nature has taught them over thousands of years, as a human if you can't get around animal instincts, keep your composer to successfully hunt deer, I'm sorry, I killed over 200 deer before I started long range hunting, it ain't that hard.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 11-25-2015 at 12:45 PM.