HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question for all members
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

Today I took my 13 yo nephew hunting, he wanted to take a deer at a longer distance than he is use to seeing, so we hit the place where I take most beginners, the shots there average 300-600 yards, since he was very inexperienced I set the max limit for him at 500 yards, 9 different times we got set up on deer from 430 to 504 yards, you all think the deer doesn't have a chance to escape need to get out and try LR whitetail hunting in the timber, the tenth time we set up the deer finaly hit an open hole at 470 yards and he took out both shoulders and we found her 30 feet from impact. they either bedded in cover as we watched, walked behind a tree and never came out or just sauntered along till they were out of site. so before your convinced its not ethical, take a pair of binocs,a LRF, and your rifle to the woods, find a deer at 500 yards, range it, get the crosshairs on it and see how many clear shots you get in a day, don't shoot if ya don't want but see how many "killing" shot opprotunities you get, then tell me how easy it is.
RR