HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question for all members
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 07:22 AM
redgreen
Nontypical Buck

He who squawks loudest is jealous of the ability of us who can and do make the long shots with surgical precision. Back in the day, a sergeant buddy of mine would get real pissed at the 1000 yard range when I would outshoot him. I enjoy seeing the amazement in their faces when I crack a deer or elk at 600 to 800 yards. James has the skillset and knowledge to make these shots with ease. I have seen too many that figure if they hang an 8 1/2 x11 piece of paper at 100 yards and can hit it, they are good to go. That don't fly with me. I can hold 1.5" at 300 yards. My drop is 6.5" at 400 yards, 21" at 500 yards. The wind has to be perfect before I will shoot past 650. Ridge doesn't take shots that are a maybe. He connects, and has his winter meat supply. Where I live, the stubble fields are fenced sections. Each is a square mile or better. There is no cover, the critters are educated, and if you want to eat regularly, you had better be prepared and be able to make the long shots with no room for error. I get really annoyed at those that flame us for being unethical for doing what they can not. Those that hunt the wooded areas where they have never shot more than 150 yards cannot fathom a shot at half a mile or greater. 40 years ago, I did all of my hunting with my silhouette rifles, and shot extreme ranges all of the time. It still gives me a sense of pride that I can still do what I did 40 plus years ago. I am getting gimped up really bad now, and walking is pretty much a thing of the past. Now, if I see it, want it, the wind conditions are right, there is nothing behind the animal that I have to worry about, it is 700 yards out, I can get to it with the truck, it is on the ground. Saying that it is not ethical is a biased and hypocritical statement. Remember, those that can, do, and those that can't, teach, or PREACH.