HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fawn distress?
Thread: Fawn distress?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Brandon_SPC
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Brandon, they tend to keep their spots longer in warmer climates because of the cover. I've seen Southern Georgia whitetail 8 month old deer with light spots. You don't have 3 separate ruts in Florida, you have different times of rut in different areas of Florida. From July to October (North to South) the rut kicks in on different dates throughout. If anything you have fawns dropping earlier than anywhere else in the country not later. Florida actually has about the longest STATEWIDE rut sequences of just about any other state. But it starts so early and it is so all over the place it is difficult to pin down in each county.
I apologize I should've rephrased myself the place I hunt our rut starts around middle of January and goes all the way to middle of March. While hunting during these times over the last 8 years I would see bucks starting to chase, then middle of Jan they start to lock down and breed. It will slack of for about a week or two because we get some hot weather that rolls in then the first week of February to middle of Feb is the second peak and I have seen a third peak towards the middle of March. Me saying three different ruts, a little confusing, I meant three different peaks of the rut. The only way I can think of why it is like this is our buck to doe ratio is extremely uneven. I wouldn't be surprised if it at least 20 does per one buck. Most of our fawns drop middle of July to August and have seen them drop as late as September but I have only seen spotted fawns as late as the middle of November. I really do appreciate y'alls help on helping me out with coyote hunting. This is the 2nd year going at it and I am starting to get the hang of things.