HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question for all members
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 AM
jeepkid
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
The major problem I have with it, as you well know RR, is that 99% of the people TRYING those long range shots attempt them WITHOUT the knowledge or skill actually required for long range shooting. They think because they have a "magic magnum" or some high dollar custom rifle that they can automatically extend their range to 700+ yards. Another major problem is TIME. As you well know, it takes time from the trigger break to that bullet reaching 700 yards and in that small amount of time a whitetail or elk can take a step, even if totally relaxed and feeding, and turn a perfectly set up shot into a gut shot. You know you've seen it RR. You know you have experienced it whether you admit it here or not. No one claiming the amount of deer taken as you claim at long range could have NOT experienced that. In my mind just, one gut shot animal that is left to go off and suffer because you didn't want to get closer to a reasonable shot distance is too many. How many people have ranges to practice at for those yardages in today's world? Not many. I personally have the skills as well as the ranges to practice to be taking those 1000 yards shots but I don't because I have more respect for the animal than that. Movement in that TIME is one factor you can NOT adjust for no matter how well you can read the animal. It's as simple as that.
I've seen more gut shot animals under 200 yards then over 500. The difference like you say is "TIME". People aren't patient when they see an animal at close range, they see it's legal and start blasting away...gut shots, legs get blown off, jaws get blown off, they get shot in the arse, all bad shots. Yet, at "long range" people have "TIME" to relax, look at the animal, get the scope adjusted, read the wind, relax, take a pee, decide if the shot is doable, relax again, then touch off the trigger...