HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question for all members
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 05:55 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

I think it is a topic worthy of discussion. I remember seeing some similar subjects go out of control and threads frozen. My hope is that we can all post and learn about this subject without seeing the thread go down the crapper. For the record... I am not in favor of hunters taking unethical low percentage shots. My own personal limits are right around 225 yds since that is the longest of all the kills I have had in my long hunting life and the limit I have practiced at the range. I mostly shoot 30-06, know the ballistics and feel that with a proper rest and wind conditions I can hit vitals at that yardage every time. I see nothing wrong with someone more skilled in shooting with better equipment to extend that range out to whatever is their 100% shot. The flip side of the argument is some hunters feel that their own goal is to close the gap and get as close to their quarry as possible. Both sides of the discussion require skill and planning to accomplish the job. I can respect both points of view. I feel at least in my case I would have an easier time getting close and have used that standard in my hunting life.