HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Glock 43 vs S&W Shield vs LC9
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't buy Glock just because it says Glock on the side - it's a great pistol, but be sure it fits your hand and meets your criteria for function first. I'm a lot closer to an "anti-Glock" guy than I am a "glock guy," but I carry a Glock 42 pretty often, and have had a Glock 19 Gen 2 on my nightstand for the last 10yrs. I don't have to like the way it looks, or like the fact that it's foreign made - they fit my hand, shoot well for me instinctively, and they're reliable.

The Shield pistols miss the mark for my hand - just not a great fit. I also don't like manual safeties on my carry pieces, and the pivoting trigger safety on the shield really isn't a safety at all - so it NEEDS a safety. I've reworked a couple of the Shields for friends, they're accurate and quite reliable, but it's not my choice.

I'll assume that you're aware, but just in case - there's a big difference between the LC9 and LC9s. The LC9 is the original - now discontinued - DAO hammer fired version with a very very long trigger travel that comes in around 7lbs. The new LC9s is a striker fired model with a blade-type trigger block safety, with about 5-5.5lb trigger pull. The only problem with the LC9s is that it's basically an SA trigger in a DA trigger reach design, so it has a pretty healthy trigger reach, kinda tricks your hand at first.

That's only a consideration if you're buying used, the LC9 has been discontinued, and frankly, there's even a trade-in promotion from Ruger to upgrade LC9's to LC9s's. I didn't trade in my LC9, and probably won't sell it. I bought an LC9s, I carry either of them, and shoot either of them pretty similarly.

The LC9 and LC9s are thin - they tend to feel weird in hand because of it, but the control on grip is solid. Throw a Hogue pistol wrap on it and it feels great. For $300-350 pistols (maybe more now?) they're very accurate, and 100% reliable. Recoil is sharp, but the LC9's do not move in hand.

I also have a Kahr PM9 and CM40, and my MIL has a CM9, they're definitely worth a look. Great triggers for a DAO pistol, if you're interested in a DAO.