HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NoVa rut?
Thread: NoVa rut?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 03:28 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
I hunt Rockingham and Augusta and have yet to see a rub or scrape. I did kill a real nice 10 point Nov.3rd, my friend tells me he is now seeing scrapes on his farm, so they are starting up.

I watched a corn field till dark this evening an never saw a deer with all this darn wind. I hate hunting in the wind...deer don't move much either.

As I was leaving driving up the road there was a small rack 8 point in the road, he just went over in the corn field a ways an looked at me. Like Mike said hopefully the colder temps will get them moving again.
I hear ya toytruck. I still haven't seen a scrape, and only a couple rubs. Last evening I saw my first bucks while on stand ...

I had a 4" spike walking along about 50yds away and all of the sudden he looks back and stares. He then starts to thrash a mtn laurel and is kicking leaves all over the place. I knew there had to be something. Out pops another buck about 40yds away... a 9-10" spike. The smaller buck laid back his ears, stiff legged his way over to the other and proceeded to fight him, and run him off. He was the dominant buck! LOL, all of 75lbs. The bigger one might have been 90lbs. I just sat there chuckling, borderline on crying. I swear, you can't make this stuff up!

Boy I love living in big deer country!