HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Death from altitude sickness?!
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Most people that live in the eastern half of the country have no idea how the altitude can get to you and what the symptoms are. I was out there hunting mostly in the BigHorns south of where this young guy died for two months and just got back Monday night. Granted that I just turned 68 in August, but I'm in great shape and went on an exercise program for 6 months before my trip this year to be sure I was ready to have fun and stay healthy. Even at that it took me 4 days out there camped at 9180' to acclimate to the lack of oxygen before I could do much of anything. Car, my buddy from this website who had the archery elk tag for unit 45, lives in southern Ohio and is about 10 years younger than I am. The altitude didn't seem to bother him at all and he was on the go the whole time as soon as we got camp set up. Staying hydrated is a big part of avoiding problems and that means drinking plenty of water regularly and not just when you feel thirsty. It appears that the guy and his party didn't know the seriousness of the symptoms he was experiencing until it was too late in this particular situation and now his kids will grow up without their Dad. What a shame!