HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Connecticut Valley Arms .32 Squirrel Gun?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You'll just have to play with it. Trying different patch thicknesses and powder charges until you find one that it shoots well.
Start with 20 gr of FFFg powder and .010" patch. Move up in 5 gr increments. Then start over using .015" patches. If you still don't think the ball/patch combo is tight enough you can go to a .020" patch. But you likely won't have to.
Be forewarned - the little .32 bore fouls quickly. You had better swab your bore out after each shot. You can use a simple spit patch on a jag to wipe most of the fouling out.
I would start with 10 grains and move up from there and probably wouldn't exceed 35 grains... it's a squirrel rifle, not a cannon. T/C lists their max load at 50 grains but that's waaay too much IMO! If you can't find FFFg black locally, try Pyrodex P, I've had good luck with both in my .32 rifles, and I don't exceed 25 grains in either. You should be able to find .310 round balls through most online suppliers of black powder firearms and accessories. I would also try different patch lubes although you can keep things simple and use good ol' Olive Oil or Crisco even pure hog lard (unsalted) if you like. My rifles shoot the .310 ball great with both .010 and .015 patch but the .020 patch is too tight. One important thing you should keep in mind, you have to push that ball down the barrel with that skinny little ramrod and the tighter the ball/patch combo, the greater the risk of breaking it! So stick with a lighter load and ball/patch combo that gives you decent accuracy and less fouling and you'll enjoy shooting the little smokepole.

Here's a link you should find helpful. These folks have just about anything a black powder shooter could ever want or need...

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1

BPS