HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to waterfowl hunting in North Texas
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

If you don't know how to get started I recommend you try to find some experienced waterfowl hunters and pick their brains or perhaps hunt with them a few times. You need specialized equipment to hunt water fowl. You don't have to buy it all at once, but there are basics. You will need decoys, a call and you should learn how to use it before you do use it so it isn't a scare device, you will also know waders, either hip or chest depending on where you are hunting. You will need non- toxic ammo and preferably a shotgun with interchangeable chokes because because you will have to find what choke works with your ammo, or vise versa. You will need a way to retrieve your birds, either a boat or dogs if the water is too deep to wade and probably most important, you will need to know how to identify the various species of waterfowl because some have lower bag limits than others and you should know what they are before you have them in your hand so you do not violate the law. You can hunt them in fields which would remove the need for waders or a boat or a dog if you can find a field where they feed but then you will need a ground blind. You should have a blind as well for hunting on water. I would suggest you ease into waterfowl hunting because it is expensive and habit forming. In my opinion, it would be foolish to not at least learn how to ID ducks before you start to hunt them. You can buy waterfowl ID books that will give you field markings so you can ID them on the wing and you can buy books on how to hunt waterfowl. However, nothing beats an experienced mentor and gaining experience to grow as a hunter. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-23-2015 at 02:12 PM.