HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - mountain lions in pa
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Jimimac

Default RE: mountain lions in pa

I really don' t think there are any mountain lions in Pennsylvania. Sorry guys. These stories seem to persist. Urban legend. If there are cougars in PA how come we never hear or read of any farmers losing livestock because of a big cat?
A sheep or cow is easier prey than than a deer, so why no outrage by farmers? It would be big news in this state if some farmer started losing his cows to a mountain lion. I was recently in Omaha Nebraska and there was a report about a mountain lion killing some farmers horse. At the time, the remains of the horse were being tested to determine if the critter was indeed killed by a cougar. That was big news folks, because according to the report, it is extremely rare for a mountain lion to be that far east. Here we are, a good 800 miles or so farther east just to get to the western PA border. Thats an awful long way folks.

I' m not trying to pick a fight and have you all mad at me but I just don' t buy it. I too have heard of cougar sightings and what not but it' s hard for me to swallow. They may eventually make it back this far east, (there are some in remote areas of Florida) but it' s not happening right now in my opinion. It would be big news...not some stuff you hear around the campfire and then the legend spreads and persists. Jim