HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunter survives 4 days alone in Idaho with a broken leg
Old 10-17-2015, 04:52 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by patchnball
Oldtimr.....maybe you ought to read what you wrote before disparaging someone. NO where does your story tell of more than a BADLY broken leg bones. Back in the day there were no atv's, autos, wheeled vehicles or parking lots. At most a mountain man would have a horse. 50 miles back in.......shoot it was ALL back in at that time. WE today don't know how to survive for any length of time....no cell phone service....gee. They didn't have them back then either. 4 days.... dehydrated and about done. Those boys lived off the land. Maybe get to town a couple times a year.
WE are very cushy people. With all the new tec gear a hunter has at his disposal one should be able to survive months, years in the wild EVEN with minor injury such as a broken leg.
I don't know what your pain threshold is, I've never consider myself a pansy. I've soldiered on with some fairly serious injuries.

A broken leg isn't minor. You have the pain and swelling to deal with and a real possibility of going into shock.

I've had a broken leg, unlikely to kill you in the short term. About the same pain as kidney stones. Shock can kill you. Out in the elements for any length of time and survival can get iffy.

Shock, copy and paste.

Shock is a life-threatening medical condition as a result of insufficient blood flow throughout the body. Shock often accompanies severe injury or illness. Medical shock is a medical emergency and can lead to other conditions such as lack of oxygen in the body's tissues (hypoxia), heart attack (cardiac arrest) or organ damage. It requires immediate treatment as symptoms can worsen rapidly.